Clusone, Affreschi del Trionfo della Morte e Danza Macabra, Oratorio dei Disciplini
Located in the parvis of the sumptuous Basilica of the Assumption, the Oratory dei Disciplini is famous mostly for the fresco on the external wall depicting the triumph of death and the Dance Macabre. Built between 1348 and 1350 (16th century) as a meeting place for the faithful dedicated to charitable works, the discipline arose in various towns following a serious Black Death plague. Once dedicated to the Annunciation, it was later dedicated to San Bernardino da Siena, who carried out pacification work during the period of the struggle between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines. An example of simple architecture of the 15th century, it has maintained its original form despite alterations through the years (that mostly damaged the fresco on the façade).
The interior contains, along the walls of the nave, other frescoes from the 15th centuries depicting scenes from the life of Jesus. The Crucifixion (1485) is very evocative and spectacular. Another illustrious guest is the group by the Fantoni family depicting the Deposition or Lamentation. It is a group of seven statues of natural height in polychrome wood, certainly realised between 1669 and 1711 by one of the Fantoni's (a family of artists from Val Seriana who were active for almost three centuries throughout the region). It represents Christ being taken down from the cross, the Virgin Mary, Joseph of Arimathea, Mary of Cleopha, Mary Magdalen, Nicodemus and St. John the Evangelist. These sculptured groups are typical of the Baroque period.