Chiari, Pinacoteca Repossi
The Foundation aims to preserve, protect and enhance Chiari’s most important cultural, artistic and historic heritage. When Pietro Faglia (1691-1768) died he left his properties to The Poor’s Trust so that schools might be set up. Stefano Antonio Morcelli, instead, was the one who collected books and documents and in his will he left them together with the wooden shelves of his bookcase divided according to the various subjects to the studious youth of Chiari. In fact in 1822 Morcelliana library was opened to the public in its present premises. In 1854 the lawyer Pietro B. Repossi died and in his will he left the Morcelliana library his collection of books, engravings and litographic prints as well as his paintings, marble statues and plaster casts. This is the origin of the present museum, which is named after its founder Repossi.
The history of the library and the painting gallery is intertwined with the one of Scholastic and Charity Bodies until the second half of the 20th century.
In 1966, thanks to the Presidential decree n. 624, the Foundation Morcelli’s Library and Repossi’s Painting Gallery was born and was given legal status.