Brescia, Tosio Martinengo Art Gallery
Housed in the 16th century Martinengo da Barco building in piazza Moretto, the art gallery holds one of the most important collections of Italian paintings. The works exhibited run from the 13th to the 18th centuries. The collection centres on paintings by the great Brescian Renaissance masters (Foppa, Ferramola, Romanino, Moretto and Savoldo) beside which are masterpieces by Raphael, Paolo Veneziano, Solario, Francia, Lotto, Gambara and Pitocchetto.
The art gallery was established in 1908 following the fusion of the Galleria Tosio with the Galleria Martinengo, and has since been enriched by other bequests and acquisitions.
It includes many works originally from city churches and private houses too. The art gallery is closed for repairs untill 2011.