Mantova, Palazzo Te
Palazzo Te is Giulio Romano's masterpiece in Mantua. It was built and decorated between 1525 and 1535 as the place for the "honest laziness” of the customer, Frederik II Gonzaga. The building is generally inspired to ancient Roman villas and in spite of the many restorations over the centuries it is one of the most valuable and best preserved Renaissance complexes. Giulio Romano’s genius has impressed Raphael and Michelangelo’s culture in it and leaves evidence of a profound knowledge of classical tradition with new and amazing inventions. Lively emotions accompany the visitor along a rich and varied pathway: from the Cortile d'Onore, to the Sala dei Cavalli, from the Camera di Psiche to the Camera dei Venti e delle Aquile, from the valuable Camera degli Stucchi to the turbulent Camera dei Giganti. The upper floor of the building is furthermore used for remarkable documentary and art collections:
- The "Arnoldo Mondadori" donation, which focuses on two main painters working between the 19th and 20th century: Federico Zandomeneghi and Armando Spadini.
- The Mesopotamian "Ugo Sissa" collection, among the very few in Italy with about 250 works on the ancient civilizations that developed between the Tigris and the Euphrates Rivers.
- The Gonzaga section, with the bronze weights and measures of the Gonzaga State, as well as with cones, pushers, medals and coins of Mantua of the nearby minor princedoms.
- The Egyptian Collection, purchased by the Mantuan Giuseppe Acerbi, who was consul in Egypt at the beginning of the19th century, including marble, bronze and wooden sculptures, as well as numerous objects related to funerary rites and to the cult of deities.
Address: Viale Te
Phone: 0376 323266
Fax: 0376 363883