Mantova, Basilica of Sant'Andrea
The project of the Basilica of Sant'Andrea was designed by Leon Battista Alberti. When Alberti died in 1472, the church was built by Luca Fancelli, a prince architect from Mantua who lived in the 15th century; he totally respected the great idea of Leon Battista Alberti’s project and completed the work in 1494. The 80 mt. high dome (1733-1765) is by Filippo Juvarra. The rich series of paintings includes works by Andrea Mantegna, his student Antonio Allegri, also known as Correggio, Giulio Romano and his students, Domenico Fetti, Francesco Borgani, Giorgio Anselmi, Rinaldo Mantovano, Felice Campi and the Andreasino. The crypt designed at the end of the 16th century by Anton Maria Viani hosts a sarcophagus with the precious ampulla with Jesus’ blood, collected with the soil of Golgotha by the legionary Longinus, who is shown and brought in procession on Holy Friday every year.
St. Andrew’s cathedral is both parish church and cathedral of Mantua and it is celebrated on 30th November every year.
VISITS BY GROUPS OF TOURISTS ARE ALLOWED ONLY AFTER 10.30
VISITS TO THE CRYPT
The crypt of the cathedral hosts the Sacred Vases with the relic of the most Precious Blood and can be accessed under the guide of the voluntaries of the cathedral, who have set up a reception desk in the first chapel to the right of the central aisle of the cathedral. By paying a 1.00 euro contribution per person for restoration works, each visitor receives a brochure-card with the illustration of the crypt and is entitled to participate in the guided tours of the cathedrals, which take on the basis of the following timetable:
MONDAYS TO SATURDAYS:
Mornings at 10.30 and 11.30 am
Afternoons at 3.00 and 5.30 pm
Only afternoons: at 3.00 and 5.00 pm
Phone: 0376 328504