Mantova, Rotonda of Saint Lawrence
This is one of the many churches built – according to the tradition - by Matilda of Canossa (1046-1115). The church is similar in shape to the churches of Jerusalem, and evokes the Sepulchre of Jesus and his Resurrection. It is in close relation with the nearby Basilica di Sant'Andrea, an ideal Calvary where for the Blood of Christ has been worshipped for twelve centuries now. For other aspects, it is also a rare example of Romanesque architecture in the Po area, with a circular plan, deambulatory and women's gallery full of coeval frescoes.
Phone: 0376 322297