VERSIONE ITALIANAGO TO THE MAPHELPPOINTS OF INTEREST

Mantova, San Sebastiano

Virtual tourVirtual tour
MappaMantova, San Sebastiano

Ten years before his last masterpiece - the Basilica of Sant'Andrea, Leon Battista Alberti designed this church in Mantua, by order of Marquis Ludwig Gonzaga for the Lateran Canons. Though it was not faithfully built, and then underwent improvident changes, including the addition of the two stairways in 1925, the church is one of the cornerstones of the Renaissance. It is admirable for its façade - which combines classical elements with modern features, such as the crypt, open to the outside, and the original five windows of the vestibule, which was accessed from the side loggia – and the bright and hefty interior with Greek plan. The Temple, which was a memorial chapel dedicated to the fallen for the country, hosts an urn that contains the remains of some Belfiore Martyrs.

Information

Website: http://www.mumm.mantova.it/interno/schedemumm/tempiosanseba.jsp
Address: Largo XXIV Maggio
City: Mantova
Phone: 0376 220097
Fax: 0376 310857

In the surroundings