Milano, Cathedral Museum
The museum was founded in 1948 by the administration of the "Veneranda Fabbrica del Duomo di Milano" (Milan Cathedral) and opened to the public in 1953. It was later restored and enlarged, then reopened in 1977.
The museum is one of the many activities undertaken by the Fabbrica of the Cathedral, a body established back in 1387. Incorporated into the historic-monumental complex of Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace), it is made up of 20 rooms covering 1809 square metres. The material on display is around 80% of what has been preserved and completely attributed to the history, art and liturgical life of Milan Cathedral. The material not displayed (preliminary models of plaster cast and terracotta figurines, designs, glass anthelions, statuaries and various ornaments) is available on request to academics at the various places it is kept.