Milano, Cordusio Place
Piazza Cordusio, or as it is usually known, the Cordusio (the "Curtis Ducis", seat of the Longobard Dukes and French Count), is an elliptic piazza in the centre of which can be seen the Monument to Giuseppe Parini, by Luigi Secchi, 1899.
A funnel-shaped appendage links it to Via Dante, and was constructed between 1889 and 1901 as a financial centre for the city, and surrounded by a number of buildings more indicative of the formal architecture of the beginning of the century. Generally speaking, only the façades remain: immediately to the left, between Via Mercanti and Via Orefici, at number 2, that of the Palazzo delle Assicurazioni Generali, with large niches surmounted by a small dome by Luca Beltrami, fronting a building by Antonio Cassi Ramelli. On the right, beyond Via Mercanti is that of Casa Dario (1901) also by Beltrami, fronting the offices of the Banco di Napoli (1960). Following on, between Via Tommaso Grossi and Via Broletto, the façade of the Palazzo del Credito Italiano, by Luigi Broggi (1901). Looking towards Via Dante from Piazza Cordusio, the imposing Torre del Filaret can be seen, towering above the walls of the Castello Sforzesco.