Monza, Villa Mirabello
Villa Mirabello was built by the Counts Durini in the second half of the seventeenth century to a design by Gerolamo Quadrio, and has a Ushaped plan opening out on to the landscape.
The house has a façade surmounted by a neo-classical tympanum, a porticoed entrance hall and two small lookout or viewing towers at each end of the building. In 1776 the Mirabellino [“little Mirabello”] was started: it stands opposite Villa Mirabello, as a perspective response down an avenue of hornbeams. It was intended to be an annex to the main building, to be used to accommodate the cultured guests of Cardinal Angelo Maria Durini. Its appearance is chaste and elegant; the main façade looks on to a small rise and has a simple linear nineteenth-century pronaos. Villa Mirabello now contains the offices of Monza Park Administration, the Green Library and the Environmental Centre for Research and Documentation, while the Mirabellino awaits restoration work.