Piazza Ducale, completed in 1494, was designed by Bramante by order of Lodovico Sforza. Arranged on a large rectangle, it is surrounded by porches supported by granite columns with round arch, divided into three spans. The fourth side of the square is closed by the Cathedral’s façade.
The Castle - built in a very ancient period and in strategic position – was rebuilt in 1345 by order of Luchino Visconti, who also ordered the construction of the famous Long Covered Road, which connected the Castle to the Old Fortress and which was used by the Dukes to enter and exit the hamlet unnoticed.
The building was then embellished and enlarged by Lodovico Sforza (the Moor), who assigned to Bramante the project for the rearrangement to transform it from ancient military fortress to a rich ducal building.
From the Castle, passing through a ramp that departs from the Piazza (Square), visitors access the Tower of Bramante, built between 1492 and 1494. With its characteristic shape, marked by graded elements, the Tower affords from its crenellations a 360° view over the square, the castle and the whole town.