varese, Estense Palace
Among the other public buildings Estense Palace is the most important national monument. It was the summer-autumn residence and court of Francesco III d’Este, Duke of Modena and Lord of Varese.
It was built based on drawings by architect Bianchi in the second half of the 18th century. The “Estense Hall” is worth a visit, with its large policromous marble fireplace.
Today it is the seat of the Town Hall.
Built in 1760, Estensi Palace was bought in 1766 by Francesco III d’Este, Duke of Modena, who hoped to set up his court here.
The architect Giuseppe Bianchi restored it and created one of the most interesting 18th-century gardens in Lombardy imitating the Imperial residence of Schönbrunn. The large fountainbasin in the square in front of the palace, just beyond the parterres, is the keystone of a garden that features hills, slopes, avenues, flowerbeds and fields. Today, the palace houses the Town Hall of Varese. Villa Mirabello’s English garden represents an element of continuity with the Estense Palace garden.