Gallarate, Basilica di S. Maria Assunta
The basilica was built in the second half of the 19th century.
It is set on a presumed Celtic village and a medieval castle. The façade was designed by the architect Camillo Boito (Rome 1836-Milan 1914) and has the statues of Saints Eurosia and Christopher, the patron saints of the city. The bell tower is on the left of the basilica and dates back to the 15th century. The internal basilica is impressive with its 16 Corinthian piers, a long nave with ample cupola and six lateral chapels. Particularly worth mentioning are the sculptures by Odoardo Tabacchi (Valganna 1831-Milan 1905) on the high altar: The Wedding of the Virgin by Pier Francesco Mazzucchelli alias the Morazzone (Morazzone 1573-1626), a painter known for his decoration of the Sacred Mountains chapels of Varese, Varallo and Orta; The Assumption of the Virgin, in the first chapel to the left, a group of marble statues by Giuseppe Rusnati, a sculptor and architect from Lombardy (Gallarate 1650-Milan 1713).