Gornate Olona, Monastery of Torba
This site served originally as a safe bulwark for the garrisons that occupied it through the centuries.
Towards year 1000 it was transformed into a sacred place where some Benedictine nuns installed themselves, making Torba a welcoming site for pilgrims travelling the road along the Olona banks. The tower with its interesting frescoes and the now deconsecrated church dedicated to Santa Maria are all that remain of the monastic period. In 1976, the complex was acquired by the Italian Environment Fund, which then started restoration works, safeguarding the buildings and
bringing new life to the entire complex. The Church of S.Michele Arcangelo is also to be found in Gornate Olona, one of the most ancient oratories of the province, with interesting paintings clearly recognisable as late Roman and
Medieval art; within the church, pictorial works that span from the XVI to the XVIII century are to be seen. In the same area are the mills of S.Pancrazio (1772), that remained in operation until the late fifties.
City: Gornate Olona