Valganna, Badia di San Gemolo
This building was a Fruttuariensi Benedictine monastery - pilgrim hospice from 1095 to 1556. The construction of the monastery began, according to legend, following the assassination of the pilgrim Gemolo and his companion, Imerio, and it is tied to the historical events of the Valganna, at the time mostly a part of the monastery's property. In the 14th century, during its highest splendour, the abbey extended its jurisdiction in the nearby valleys: Valmarchirolo, Valceresio and Valcuvia.
Architecturally the complex forms a compact block, though through the years it was remodelled and expanded. The principle elements are: the Longobard style church (1100-1125), partially still standing and having a simple basilica plan with three naves, two of which covered by stone groin vaults. Inside the church there are some remnants of frescoes from the middle of the 1300s and the second half of the 1400s. Following the extinction of the monastery in 1556, the church took on parochial functions. Some of the other features of the complex that remain are: the cloistral residences facing the valley (12th-14th century); a Romanesque bell tower (1150-75), in red porphyrite stone from Mount Mondonico and sandstone from Curveglio; a pentagon- shaped two storey small cloister, three sides built around the middle of the 1300s and two in the 1600s; the ruins of one side of a Gothic cloister, dating back to the second half of the 15th century. The parochial Museum is also worth mentioning and merits a visit.