Sannicola is located between the Salento greenhouses, 6 km from Gallipoli, 32 km from Lecce. The city is predominantly agricultural, with beautiful and comfortable resorts like San Simone and Lido Conchiglie. The core of Sannicola is Piazza della Repubblica, with the Town Hall, 1922. In 2003 she was made a new paving of the square, where references are linked to the site. A few steps, stairs leading to the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, built on the former chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas.
Early eleventh century, recalls the arrival of Byzantine monks, which is credited with building the church of St. Nicholas. Throughout the fourteenth and fifteenth century was subject to raids and fortified farms and brothels are not always able to protect people from the Turks, Venetians and French. The reconstruction of the place dates back to 1640, when the cleric Dominic Musurù always rebuilt a small chapel dedicated to St. Mira. The population of Villa San Nicola "increased during the eighteenth century, necessitating the expansion of the church, became a parish in 1790. Only in 1908 the administrative autonomy from Gallipoli led the establishment of Sannicola.
http://www.viaggiareinpuglia.it – Portale Turistico Istituzionale della Regione Puglia