Aragon Castle Reggio Calabria
The history of the castle follows step by step the history of the city at least from the 6th century AD onwards.
During the 13th century the castle underwent certain transformations.
After the Aragons conquered Reggio in 1440 also the castle was fortified further under the orders of Ferdinando d’Aragona who wanted to increase fortifications throughout the “Regno di Napoli” against aggressors using new military techniques and gun powder.
During the 16th and 17th centuries, work was started and undertook to repair damage incurred overall following the continued attacks by the Saracens.
Today, following the most recent restorations made in 2000, the castle is used for temporary exhibitions and cultural events.